FREAKY33 Part 2

Ready for more freakiness, BidFairNatics?

To get you in the mood for this July’s FREAKY Friday the 13th, we are running a promotion this week.

During the week, we will post 3 scary stories to the blog. You need to guess which stories are mere myths, and which is based on freaky fact. Once all three stories have been posted, comment on the final post and tell us which story you think is true. If you are right, we’ll give you 100 free bids. Winners will be announced on Friday. And don’t forget, this week only, use the coupon code: ‘FREAKY33‘ for 33% FREE BIDS when you purchase a Bid Pack!

Read on for the second freaky tale:

Story Number 2:

The Mummy’s Curse

An Egyptian princess lived some 1,500 years BC. Like all royalty in the country, when she died, she was laid in a beautiful sarcophagus and buried deep in a crypt on the banks of the Nile. Centuries later three rich, young, Englishmen visiting excavations near the site were invited to buy an exquisitely crafted mummy case containing the remains of the Princess.

All very eager, the men drew lots to decide who would be given the honour of claiming the coffin. The man who won paid several thousand pounds and had the coffin taken to his hotel. Hours later, he was seen walking into the dessert. He was never seen again. The next day, one of the remaining men was shot accidentally by an Egyptian servant. His arm was so severely wounded it had to be amputated. The third man in the trio found on his return home that the bank holding his entire savings had closed.

The coffin eventually reached England, where it was bought by a businessman. But the misfortune continued. Two days after acquiring the sarcophagus, the man’s wife and young daughter were killed in a car accident. The grief-stricken man donated that coffin to a museum, claiming as he did that it was cursed.

The museum owner paid little attention to the man’s warning, believing they were surely only the ramblings of despairing heart after such a tragedy. And yet… As the coffin was being unloaded from a truck in the museum courtyard, the truck’s breaks failed suddenly and the vehicle rolled backwards, crushing a passer-by.

As the casket was being carried up the museum steps by two workmen, one tripped and broke his leg. The other, apparently in perfect health, was found dead in his bed two days later.

However, it was once the Princess was installed in the Egyptian Room that the trouble really began.  The museum’s night watchmen swore that they heard a distressing wailing from within the coffin. Then one of the watchmen died on duty; and the other quit on the spot. A visitor snuck under the protective rope to touch the tomb. His son died of measles soon afterwards. Finally, after numerous complaints from both the museum staff and the frighten public, the authorities had the mummy moved to the basement. Within a week, one of the helpers was seriously ill, and the supervisor of the move was found dead on his desk.

By now, the newspapers had heard of it. A local journalist took a picture of the mummy case and when he developed it, he could see clearly that the painting on the coffin was of a horrifying, human face. The photographer went home then, locked his bedroom door and shot himself.

Soon afterwards, the museum sold the mummy to a private collector. After continual misfortune, the owner banished it to the attic. But the strange happenings continued. The man became desperate to get rid of coffin but no museum would take the mummy; the fact that a large number of people had met with disaster or death from interacting the casket in barely a decade, was now well known.

Eventually, an American archaeologist, who dismissed the happenings as mere circumstance, paid a large sum for the coffin and arranged for its removal to New York. In April of 1912, the new owner escorted the Princess aboard a brand, new White Star ship about to make its maiden voyage to New York.

On the night of April 14, amid scenes of unbelievable horror, the Egyptian Princess accompanied 1,500 passengers to their deaths at the bottom of the freezing Atlantic. The name of the ship was Titanic.


One thought on “FREAKY33 Part 2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s